The Keewatin was built for the Canadian Pacific Railway, in Scotland.
Delivered to the Great Lakes in 1907, this lovely steamer was destined
to make history. For over 50 years she served as a railway link, connecting
the Georgian Bay and upper Lake Superior railheads. She is the last of the
Classic Great Lakes Passenger Steamships still afloat.
- Sailed her maiden voyage from Greenock, September 14, 1907, arriving in Montreal, Canada, September 23, 1907.
- Separated into two sections for passage through the Welland Canal. Reunited at Buffalo, New York.
- Went into regular service between Owen Sound and Port Arthur & Fort William in Lake Superior on October 7, 1908.
- New depot facilities opened in 1912, shifting the Keewatin’s home to Port McNicoll, Ontario.
- Retired from service on November 29, 1965.
- Arrived in Saugatuck-Douglas on June 27, 1967.
- Overall Length: 350 feet
- Beam: 43. 5 feet
- Depth: 26 ft. Draft: 16 feet
- Gross Tonnage: 3,856 tons
- Top Speed 16 knots
- Cruising Speed: 14 knots
- Passengers: 288 (berthed)
- Officers and Crew: 86
- Engines: quadruple expansion, with hand-stoked coal-fired Scottish boilers, producing 3,300 horsepower.